Musings of an expat grad student... oy vey.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Two things I've learned today.

1. Arguing on the Internet, especially about politics, especially about hot-button political issues, and especially on a site where people have differing levels of desire to engage in honest discussion rather than sling personal mud, is at best pointless and at worst really frustrating. Best to take what works and leave the rest. I think that's the last time I'll be venturing into that minefield.

2. London has some of the best sample sales in the world. Sweatshop-free, locally-designed cashmere for affordable prices - I never thought it would be a reality! Thank you, DWS!

1 Comments:

  • No disagreement on number 1. I think that being able to snipe away under the cover of a pseudonym and with the protection of hundreds or thousands of miles of distance tempts people to ditch all sense of propriety, and frequently they give in. I avoid Internet political discussions whenever I can unless I know who the person I'm debating with is in real life. I'm constantly amazed at how easy it is to dehumanize someone with the Internet.

    By Blogger Bewildered Academic, at 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home