Musings of an expat grad student... oy vey.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Good things.

1) As of this afternoon, my draft of my dissertation is complete. It's still got a few quotes missing and a few bits that need tightening, and some things may need to be moved around and changed. And, of course, it'll need trimming, seeing as I'm already up to 13,800 words of a strict 15,000-word limit and I haven't yet written my conclusion because I want to write one based on a final draft of the body. But the heavy lifting is finished, and there is no feeling more awesome than that.

2) As a reward for this, we're taking a weekend trip to Paris. It's actually not a reward, per se; it's a trip I won in a writing contest a while ago and I scheduled it for this weekend because I figured I'd need a break in the midst of dissertating. But as it turns out, my draft is going off to my advisor tomorrow, and there is literally nothing else I need to be doing, other than sipping a latte at a street cafe, or walking through the Jardins du Luxembourg with my love.

3 Comments:

  • I am bitterly jealous of both dissertation completion *and* big trip.

    By Blogger Stroll, at 1:57 PM  

  • Kudos and Congrats!

    Good for you for using the Paris trip as a reward. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

    BTW, I answered some of your questions about the transition to becoming a faculty member on my blog. But you've already done the most important thing to succeed: making sure that you don't start a new job as an ABD!

    By Blogger academic coach, at 5:25 AM  

  • Congrats!

    That must feel so nice to have a completed draft! I hope you enjoyed your trip - a well-earned break, I'm sure!

    I have to say, I'm a little jealous too...

    By Blogger sheenav, at 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home